Friday, September 26, 2014

The In-Crowd



Thank you to Amy DeBurgh, Director of Volunteers & Guest Services, for writing today's blog.

I have never really cared about being a part of the in-crowd... until now.  About once a week, usually on a  Friday, a gang of ladies from the Catalyst program comes into my office. They are a lot of fun.  I am so amused by them.  We talk about their upcoming weekend plans and make each other laugh.  It’s that Friday feeling that everyone recognizes; the energy and smell of coming freedom.  They, like I am, are anticipating a few days off and they have a feeling the potential for friendship wackiness is high.  I get caught up in their enjoyment, and feel very welcomed there. 


These ladies are so terrific.  They have a gift that most adults don’t have.  It’s the ability to cut out the formalities and just enjoy life and each other.  It’s a fun thing to get pulled into.  All of a sudden, I have instantaneous, accepting friends.  Not just any kind of friendship is being built here.  It’s a convicting one.  Questions are thrown to me and answers are expected.  If we’re honest, we’ll admit that sometimes we catch and throw the fast-pitch “How are you?” and we don’t really take time to give or get the answer.  That kind of indifference is missing from these ladies.  They ask.  They look at me.  They wait for the answer.  They respond.  And I think I want to be more like that.

Hurts, joys, thoughts about God, triumphant achievements, perturbations, are all readily available.  My girls can’t be fake.  Honesty defines them.  How refreshing.  A conversation about the Lord is just a word away.  It’s a safe and fun place to be me.  I can tell they feel that way about each other too.  They share in the benefits of adulthood employment, independence and freedom while maintaining the childlike faith that Christ puts immeasurable value on.

In a manner of speaking, I guess I kind of feel like part of the in-crowd now. It’s a really good in-crowd that accepts everyone.  What a special thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment