Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What I've Learned At Shepherds



Blog #2 in the “Celebrating 55” series

Thank you to Bill Stevens, Director of Development Activities, for writing today’s blog.

My ministry experience for the past 18 years at Shepherds has taught me four important truths. I have observed, experienced, and sought to live day to day the practical applications of these truths by the living examples of my friends who call Shepherds home.

Gayle
Gary
I have learned that “the just do live by faith”, a simple but powerful faith.  My friends Gayle and R.J. remind me every time I visit with them that they exhibit that kind of faith.  After eight years of faithfully praying for my wife who has been delivered from a terrible form of cancer, they still ask me how she is doing and if we still are keeping the faith.  Our respect for one another is reciprocal.  They have given me many prayer requests over the years and by faith we have seen them all answered.

   
I have learned that praying without ceasing and that the effectual, fervent prayers of the righteous avail much.  My two friends, both named Gary, never fail to pray with me when I am able to be on campus.  They also never fail to ask for my prayer requests, give me their requests, and always want to know how their prayers are being answered.  The truth of the matter is simple -  their prayers are being answered.  I have learned just how important prayer is to our residents and clients.  Great answers to prayer have been the testimonies of Shepherds for over 55 years.  My prayer life and my faith to believe God for great things have definitely been challenged by the example of my friends.

Dan

I have learned the truth of knowing the joy of being saved and serving Jesus.  No better lesson has been taught to me than by my friend Dan C.  From the very first week of my employment when I was going through indoctrination and training in the Shepherds Way, Dan showed me the importance of those truths to him.  I always fall short of the joy he constantly expresses, and he keeps me challenged before the Lord to show it, too!  When Dan and I first met in the hallway outside of his living area, he asked me a question, “Mr. Stevens, are you saved?”  Wow, that simple question humbled me and made realize just whom I was called to serve, individuals created by God, on and for a purpose, i.e. salvation and service to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.  That is Dan in a nutshell!  Dan never seems to have a problem.  He is always full of joy and has an exuberance I could only dream of showing.  I have learned that I need to be more like Dan and share my faith and serve my Lord with all joy!

Butch
I have learned from my closest friend the truth of Proverbs 18:24. “There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.”  From the time we first met, Butch bonded in close friendship with me and my wife.  He came to think of us as his “foster parents’ and he, as our adopted son.  To this day, eighteen years later, we speak by phone regularly and I have the wonderful opportunity to visit my friend, brother and son two or three times a year.  Our friendship continues to grow.  I am still learning what a friend we have in Jesus, but also what friends we have gained by being a part of this wonderful ministry called Shepherds.  It is a truth, an important truth; one that I will cherish forever.  Dan C told me one more thing on that eventful day when we first met.  He said, “Mr. Stevens, when I get to heaven I will be just like you.”  That statement reminded me that Dan knew why he was at Shepherds, but that Jesus Christ is the difference for all eternity.  I am going to enjoy hearing the testimonies of my friends as they stand or sit at the feet of Jesus and tell Him all the great things that they learned and experienced by being cared for by God’s servants at Shepherds.  And do you know what?  I am going to sit or stand at the feet of Jesus, too.  I am going to tell Him as a testimony on behalf of my friends, what great and wonderful lessons they taught me.

Gary
Ruthie Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment